Vital Skills: Training for Trainers
Friday 3rd May - Friday 17th May (All Friday sessions)
I thought this was a really useful course. Very well run and really got me thinking about how to improve training and introduce more interactive elements. I was aware of learning styles before but never created a teaching plan before or considered how useful this could be in designing training. The opportunity to create a presentation and try out new things in a safe supportive training environment was really helpful.
Purpose of course
This course goes through three stages: Preparing training; Facilitating training; and Evaluating training. Please read this full event descriptor to get a full understanding of the course content and assessments. There are multiple online sessions, spreading over several weeks to allow participants to digest the information and have the opportunity to learn from others, ask questions and evolve their volunteer training programme accordingly.
Training for Trainers is designed for those new to their role of training volunteers and/or staff. The course is also applicable for those who need refresher training. A trainer must be able to prepare, facilitate, and evaluate their training. This course is split into those three sections to ensure you leave the course with confidence on how to be the best trainer possible with relevant, engaging, and dynamic content.
The learning objectives include:
- To define the concept of individual learning styles and their implications for trainers
- To develop the session planning skills required to build effective training
- To demonstrate facilitation and presentation skills in training delivery
- To solve difficult training scenarios and learning barriers
- To evaluate your training content, your, and the participants' facilitation abilities
Duration and time commitment
Training for trainers is the biggest of our seven Vital Skills for Staff modules (see others here). For this reason, the course runs over three weeks, with one day per week, allowing participants time to digest the information and achieve a strong understanding of each element.
Week One: Preparing Training
Wednesday 7th February 2024, 1pm - 4pm
All participants will learn how to prepare and design training efficiently and effectively. Key topics within week one include:
- How to be inclusive of individual learning styles
- How to create a teaching plan
- How to best prepare for facilitation
The assignment for week one is to submit a teaching plan to show your understanding of the course content.
There is an optional student drop-in on Tuesday 7th May 13:30 - 14:30 for any participant who would like additional support. This is an online session on Zoom for those who want or need time with the course coach.
Week Two: Facilitating Training
Friday 10th May 9:30 - 13:00
All participants will have the opportunity to practice and experiment with their volunteer training material through the live assessment structure of week two. All participants will gain access to some examples of volunteer training as well as the Being a Befriender good practice guide to assist in your creation of volunteer training content. Key topics within week two include:
- How to set the right tone for a learning environment
- How to control your environment
- How to best utilize facilitation styles
- How to be a dynamic trainer in-person and online using Zoom to its full potential
The assignment for week two is to facilitate for 15 minutes with your peers to demonstrate your understanding of best practices in facilitation. If you have a specific preference on which time slot you present in, please contact the facilitator Victoria@befrienidng.co.uk as soon as possible to request your preference.
Week Three: Evaluating Training
Friday 17th May 9:30 - 12:30 (3 hours)
All participants will have the opportunity to gain constructive feedback from their peers, analyze and learn from others, evaluate the next steps to improve their volunteer training structure, and devise a plan for the next steps. Key topics within week three include:
- How to gather and deliver Feedback
- How to review and recreate content
- How to strategically evaluate training and your development steps
The assignment for week three is to evaluate your training as well as your peer's presentation to show your understanding of evaluation tools.
Dates for your diary
For ease, please check you are available for all the following dates and times, as full attendance is mandatory to gain a certificate of completion. Please know that all Befriending Networks events are held in GMT time zone. The schedule of the live sessions on Zoom is as follows:
- Session one on Preparing: Friday 3rd May 9:30 - 12:30 (3 hours)
- Optional student drop-in: Tuesday 7th May 13:30 - 14:30 (1 hour)
- Session two on Facilitating: Friday 10th May 9:30 - 13:00 (3.5hours)
- Session three on Evaluating: Friday 17th May 9:30 - 12:30 (3 hours)
This course is £95 for members of Befriending Networks and £125 for non-members. Are you a member? Make sure to log in before booking to receive your discount.
Contact the course facilitator at Victoria@befriending.co.uk
* Please note: we understand that circumstances may require a change of training dates. We allow you to defer once when we are given notice of at least 48 hours, after that it is seen as a non-refundable cancellation. Please check your diary before committing to any dates.