Vital Skills: Managing Waiting Lists and Organisational Capacity
Wednesday 6th March, 9:30AM - 2:30PM
Both the training materials and networking with other people from different organisations and charities was very beneficial. The managing capacity section really helped me to reflect on the choices and decisions we make in our befriending scheme.
Purpose of course
This module is designed to develop your knowledge and understanding of Managing Waiting Lists and Organisational Capacity. Exploring strategies for referral management, creating capacity growth and appropriate endings, this course is created to assist befriending projects to implement a strong system that is both making the most of their ability while recognising the pressures and responsibility involved.
Please note: Though this course is focused on supporting and supervising the volunteer's capacity, much of the material is also suitable for line managing staff and their capacity.
Learning objectives include
- To calculate organisational capacity
- To discuss staff burnout and to identify indicators
- To prepare for collaborative working
- To review whether time-limited matches are appropriate for your project
- To recognise the advantages and disadvantages of a waiting-list
Duration and Time Commitment
We are offering this course in a one day intensive delivery so that staff can complete the training in a more efficient timing. Throughout the five hours, participants will discuss and share practice with one another, and complete interactive tasks. The five hours are broken up with two comfort breaks. Post-event, all participants will receive a certificate of completion after their attendance and participation at the event. Participants will also gain access to the Resource Pack with all the course information, as well as any relevant sample policies, procedures or guides signposted during the course.
Agenda for the day
- 9:30am - 9:45am > Networking and understanding capacity
- 9:45am - 10:10am > How do we calculate organisational capacity
- 10:10am - 10:35am > Measuring a healthy stretch and avoiding staff burnout
- 10:35am - 11am > Quantity versus quality
- 11am - 11:25am > Good practice guidance and community capacity building
- 11:25am - 11:45pm > Tea Break (20mins)
- 11:45am - 12:05pm > Collaborting with social prescribers and third parties
- 12:05pm - 12:25pm > Increasing capacity with time-limited matches
- 12:25pm - 1pm > Time-limited matches
- 1pm - 1:20pm > Tea Break (20mins)
- 1:20pm - 1:30pm > Networking and understanding the purpose of a waiting list
- 1:30pm - 2pm > The three methodologies of a waiting list
- 2pm - 2:10pm > Waiting list befriending and occupying volunteers
- 2:10pm - 2:20pm > Is a waiting list right for you?
- 2:20pm - 2:30pm > Questions and Close
Any attendee of this course will gain the opportunity to access 1:1 support and consultancy with Befriending Networks staff with the purpose of creating a collaborative contract for external organisations to support growth of capacity.
This course is £65 for members of Befriending Networks, £90 for non-members. Are you a member? Make sure to log in before booking to receive your discount.
Contact the course facilitator Victoria@befriending.co.uk
* Please note: we understand that circumstances may require a change of training dates. We allow you to defer once when we are given notice of at least 48hours, after that it is seen as a non-refundable cancellation. Please do check your diary before committing to any dates.