Training for Trainers: How to facilitate effective training in your befriending service
Tuesday 1st March > Monday 21st March 2022
Moodle Training Platform and Zoom
All Vital Skills courses have been redesigned to ensure they cater to a coordinator or trainer role who work in both face-to-face services as well as distance befriending projects.
Purpose of course
Training for Trainers is designed to provide you with the tools you need to design and facilitate effective training in your befriending service. The course content can assist you to design volunteer training as well as staff training. The training you provide needs to be relevant, engaging and dynamic for it to be effective.
A trainer must have the skills to design and deliver appropriate training and also to inspire and motivate their participants. The aim of Training for Trainers is to give you the all background information you need to develop these skills. This module is designed to develop your knowledge and understanding for training both staff and volunteers. All participants will gain access to some examples of volunteer training as well as the Being a Befriender good practice guide. This course is divided into three sections over three weeks. Each week has an assessment to complete:
- Part 1: Preparing Your Training
- Part 2: Facilitating Your Training
- Part 3: Evaluating Your Training
Assessment of learning
To complete this course, all sections are mandatory. Participants will receive a certificate on completion. The assessments to complete this course are to:
- Attend induction session on Tuesday 1st March at 9:30am (1hour maximum)
- Complete the reading to learn the theory
- Design your training plan to show your understanding of student needs and the role of a facilitator
- Complete a 10-15min presentation to demonstrate your facilitation and design skills
- Complete your activity pack to illustrate your abilities and understanding of the transfer of learning
- Evaluate your classmates presentations and review your peers feedback
- Attend the webinar on the last day to share learning, best practice and problem solve with students 10am - 1pm on Monday 21st
Duration and Time Commitment
This is the most intensive vital skills course and is commonly fully booked far in advance. We plan to run it once a quarter in 2022. This course recommends 3.5hours a week to complete. You are given access to our training platform on day one. Reading and reflection are to be done independently. The duration of the course is to allow participants to accommodate the course within their work/personal schedule. The only fixed time commitment is the webinar time slot where attendance is mandatory. The webinar takes place on Monday 21st March at 10am
Are you a member of Befriending Networks? Make sure to log in to receive your membership discount, otherwise you will be charged full cost
* Please note: we understand that circumstances may require a change of training dates. We allow you to defer once when we are given notice of at least 48hours, after that it is seen as a non-refundable cancellation. Please do check your diary before committing to any dates.