Training for Trainers: How to facilitate effective training in your befriending service
Tuesday 16th November 9:30AM - 10:30AM > Thursday 9th December 9:30AM - 12NOON
All Vital Skills courses have been redesigned to ensure they cater to a coordinators/trainer role who work in both face-to-face services as well as distance befriending projects. Due to this particular course being fully booked January and May, an additional date has been added to handle the demand.
Purpose of course
Training for Trainers is designed to provide you with the tools you need to design and facilitate effective training in your befriending service. The course content can assist you to design volunteer training as well as staff training. The training you provide needs to be relevant, engaging and dynamic for it to be effective.
A trainer must have the skills to design and deliver appropriate training and also to inspire and motivate their participants. The aim of Training for Trainers is to give you the all background information you need to develop these skills. This module is designed to develop your knowledge and understanding for training both staff and volunteers. This course is divided into three sections:
- Part 1: Preparing Your Training
- Part 2: Facilitating Your Training
- Part 3: Evaluating Your Training
Assessment of learning
To complete this course, all sections are mandatory. Participants will receive a certificate on completion. This course runs over three weeks with an assessment each week to be completed. The assessment of learning is:
- Attend the induction webinar on day one 16/11/21
- Complete the reading to learn the theory
- Week 1 assessment: Design your training plan to show your understanding of student needs & the role of a facilitator
- Week 2 Assessment: Complete your activity pack to illustrate your abilities & understanding of the transfer of learning
- Week 3 Assessment: Complete a 10min presentation on the final day to demonstrate your facilitation and design skills
- Attend the webinar on the last day to share learning, best practice and problem solve with students 9/12/21
Duration and Time Commitment
On average, this particular course requires 7hrs of independent study time. Prior to the course starting, you will be sent a link for attending the Training for Trainers induction webinar. After this 1hour session, you will be given all your access details for our training platform. This initial session is an opportunity to ask questions about the course, the timing, to have a better understanding of your assessments, and to get to know your classmates.
The course is spread out over a three week period and three individual assessments to help make the course more managable in your work hours. All reading, reflection and written assignments are to be done independently. The only fixed time commitment are the webinar time slots stated below:
Webinar 1: Tuesday 16th November 2021, 9:30AM - 10:30AM
Webinar 2: Thursday 9th December 2021, 9:30AM - 12NOON
Both these webinar times are mandatory, please make sure you are available for both these dates and have time available to complete the work prior to booking this course.
* Please note: we understand that circumstances may require a change of training dates. We allow you to defer once when we are given notice of at least 48hours, after that it is seen as a non-refundable cancellation. Please do check your diary before committing to any dates.