Online Vital Skills: Recruitment and Selection
9-23 May; Webinar 23 May, 1-3pm
Recruiting and retaining the right volunteers is a constant challenge for befriending services. Making sure you have a clear message about what you do, and making sure that message reaches the right target audience is part of that challenge. But you also need to have streamlined systems in place which ensure that people coming forward to volunteer for you have a positive experience at all stages, and that the induction process leaves the organisation with a body of volunteers who are ready and able to carry out their befriending role to a high degree of excellence. How to be successful at all of these levels of the recruitment process is the subject of this module.
This module is designed to develop your knowledge and understanding for recruiting and selecting your staff and volunteers. This module will give you an opportunity to explore:
• How to prepare their organisations for volunteer involvement.
• How to create an application protocol.
• How to write a service profile.
• Why their service needs volunteer befrienders.
• What needs to be contained in a volunteer role description.
• The volunteer pathway – from enquiry to becoming one of the team.
• The effectiveness of different kinds of publicity materials.
• Methods of advertising for volunteers and targeting specific groups / types of volunteers.
• Why we interview and how to conduct a successful volunteer interview.
• Post-interview follow up and selecting or rejecting an applicant
Vital Skills is made up of one resource pack (which includes the theory, best practice and advice) and one activity pack where you are asked to put your knowledge to the test. Modules may also have quizzes. All work is accessible online and is marked online. This streamlined format is designed to support your busy schedules. The contact session takes place on Go To Meeting. During this video conference you can compare answers with other organisations, share best practice as well as get feedback on your work. Both the course work and the webinar are mandatory for achieving the module.