Welcome to Good Practice events at Befriending Networks
Each subject within our Good Practice training is focused on an infastructure of interactive workshop and discussion, followed by access to the appropriate good practice resource. Currently there are four events available in Good Practice. Scroll down for available training dates. Our four courses are:
- Dementia and Befriending
- Running a Befriending Service
- Improving and Evaluating your Safeguarding Policy
- Management and Leadership in Befriending Projects
Dementia and Befriending
It is commonly reported that a diagnosis of dementia can highlight two concerns for projects:
- Volunteer retainment decreasing due to volunteers feeling they are not making a positive impact;
- Befriending projects struggling with whether they feel comfortable or competent accepting dementia referrals
If this relates to your project or if you are deciding how far volunteers can support someone with dementia once they have been diagnosed post-match - this course is here to help! The workshop aspect will allow participants to discuss the challenges they are personally facing within their project, as well as an opportunity to problem-solve with Befriending Networks and peers. All participants will receive two resources to assist their operations and volunteer training in the hope that projects can continue to support service users who have a diagnosis of dementia, with confidence and competence:
- Resource One: Training Toolkit Resources, activities and information for training staff and/or volunteers to better support those with dementia. All materials and training activities can be taken, altered and/or used within your project as you see fit.
- Resource Two: Good Practice Guide Supporting People with Dementia: Guidance on running a befriending project that supports service users with dementia. This Good Practice Guide is exclusive to this course.
We aim to run this event once a quarter. £80 for members / £90 for non-members
Running a Befriending Service
This 2.5hr interactive workshop will be non-stop discussion, networking and top tips to support new befriending projects and / or new befriending staff. Key topics will include:
- Protecting Volunteers Wellbeing
- Key Policies and Procedures to Ensure Strong Operations
- Volunteer Recruitment and Retainment
We aim to run this event twice a year. £15 for members / £35 for non-members
Improving and Evaluating your Safeguarding Policy
This is a more intensive Safeguarding course. The light touch version can be found in Topical Training. With this version, you gain guidance on ensuring your safeguarding policy meets national guidance as well as Befriending Networks good practice.
Participants are given access to our training platform to complete this course as independent learning - you will be given access over a duration of time so that you can fit the work into your schedule, around your personal and professional commitments. Please see event listing for more details.
Management and Leadership in Befriending Projects
This course is designed for staff within befriending projects. It provides support and the opportunity to grow in knowledge and skills for continued professional development. Management and Leadership is suitable for anyone looking to increase their responsibilities within a befriending project or to take on a new progressive role. Course content includes:
• Defining a Manager and a Leader
• Setting Boundaries
• Taking Ownership
• Motivating your Team
• Handling Change
• Managing Poor Performance
• Feedback and Constructive Criticism
• Inducting New Members of Staff
• Stress in the Workplace
• Time Management
• Funding and Responsible Sourcing
• Working with your Board of Trustees
• Contingency Planning
Please note: we understand that circumstances may require a change of training dates. We allow you to defer once when we are given notice of at least 48hours, after that it is seen as a non-refundable cancellation. Please do check your diary before committing to any dates.
If you have any accessibility requirements, please do get in touch and notify our Learning and Development manager Victoria@befriending.co.uk so that they can best prepare and ensure the course is inclusive of your needs.